The Mt. Pleasant Temporium is a temporary, pop-up retailer coming to Mt. Pleasant St. NW for 24 consecutive days from February18 through March 13. Since their theme is storytelling, they decided to invite SpeakeasyDC in on the project! We will be hosting three nights of programming (Feb 19, Feb 27, and Mar 11 from 7-8:30. Space extremely limited). See below for deets. The project, located at 3068 Mt. Pleasant St. NW, is part of the District’s new Temporary Urbanism initiative and features handmade goods for sale from 30 local, independent crafters and artists. Blog post on We Love DC
The Mt. Pleasant Temporium is proud to present a full events rosters! Head over on Feb. 18 for the grand opening and return again to shop and enjoy one of the many storytelling, crafting or live music events, offered during regular retail hours and after hours on selected nights.
- All events are free and open to the public.
- Events are located within the Mt. Pleasant Temporium at 3068 Mt. Pleasant St. unless otherwise noted.*
- Attendees are encouraged to arrive at least 20 minutes early to seated events, which have a limited capacity of 30.**
- Events schedule is updated daily.
- Fri. 2/18 (7-9 pm): Grand Opening Reception
- Sat. 2/19 (7-8:30 pm): SpeakeasyDC** – Mini-class on the art of storytelling and story swap
- Sun. 2/20 (3 pm): Temporium Sunday Session featuring: Ice Cream (kid-friendly event)
- Thurs. 2/24 (7 pm): Temporium Presents: I’m From Up Top**
- Fri. 2/25 (7 pm): Radio CPR – An evening of young, underground DC talent, featuring live performances by: the artists of Fallen Kings Records, ACME, and Hot Mess, plus a live sampling of DJs, hosts, and MC talent from Radio CPR 97.5′s dynamic weekly programming. Event is located at La Casa, 3166 Mount Pleasant Street NW, suggested donation $2-3*
- Sat. 2/26 (1-3 pm): Hello Craft’s Make Something Awesome Area – Learn how to make pin sets from books, magazines, your own drawings and more. (kid-friendly event)
- Sun. 2/27 (2 pm): Temporium Sunday Session featuring: Washington City Paper’s News You Can Reuse (kid-friendly event)
- Sun. 2/27 (7 – 8:30 pm): SpeakeasyDC** – Group House night – Hear and share stories about that good ol’ Mt. Pleasant tradition of group house living. May be screening of Amy Saidman’s pretty terrible, but amusing mockumentary Group House Gone Bad filmed in 4 different Mt. P houses over the course of 4 years.
- Wed. 3/2 (4-5:30pm): After School printmaking workshop with Bancroft Elementary School and print maker Anthony Dihle: How to Screen Print Monsters! Note – event participation is closed to the public, but Temporium patrons are encouraged to shop and observe!
- Thurs. 3/3 (6 pm): Local author Anna El-Eini reads from Beating Heart
- Sat. 3/5 (3-6 pm): Radio CPR –Documenting Mt. Pleasant’s Untold Stories, Part I – Go beneath the radar with Radio CPR and uncover some of the neighborhood’s secret histories and hidden gems with those that lived them. In this 3-hour workshop, you will learn the basics of audio recording and interviewing. We will go out to collect voices and stories from the Mt. Pleasant corridor with the hope of adding another layer to the quilted narrative of Mt. Pleasant. Snacks and beverages will be provided. No experience needed.
- Sun. 3/6 (1 pm): Temporium Sunday Session featuring: Readings from Gilded Lili: Lili St. Cyr and the Striptease Mystique, by Mt. Pleasant author Kelly DiNardo
- Thurs. 3/10 (6:30 – 8:30 pm): Radio CPR – Documenting Mt. Pleasant’s Untold Stories, Part II – Learn about some of the movements, projects and institutions that were born in Mount Pleasant. Speakers will tell stories about Escuela de Rumba, La Casa, Radio CPR, the Blue Sky Collective, Punk Rock, Neighbors Consejo and more. Event is located at Don Juan Restaurant, 1660 Lamont Street (Mt. Pleasant and Lamont Sts., NW)*
- Fri. 3/11 (7 – 8:30 pm): SpeakeasyDC** – Story Game Night
- Sat. 3/12 (7 – 10 pm): Folly Night @ the Temporium. Musical performances include Brazilian psychadelia by Alma Tropicalia and hazy whispercore from Cigarette, interspersed with stand-up comedy and readings by writers fromThe Folly, a new print-only literary magazine in DC.
- Sun. 3/13 (4-6 pm): Hello Craft’s Make Something Awesome Area + Handmade Gift Exchange (5-6 pm) – Buy or bring a gift to the shop ($15 value and under) to take part in the handmade version of the white elephant gift exchange on the closing night of the Temporium. (kid-friendly event)